Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Are teachers born or made?

Is teaching an art or a science?

Yes.

I borrow this sort of response from my husband, who is fond of answering non-yes/no questions with a yes or a no, much to my dissatisfaction. While sometimes he just doesn't want to commit, this can also mean that both are true. And in this case, yes, teaching can be an art, a talent someone inherently has (although like most talents it still needs development through practice) but it can also be something learned through a process, like a science.

To put it another way, some people are naturally better teachers, whether due to personality or natural ability to communicate ideas. However, much about becoming a better teacher is scientific, in that there should be a rational process followed (in order to establish goals and determine the best way to achieve those goals) and testing and retesting is needed. In this way, a person with natural aptitude can get better and one without the talent can be good.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100%. I also feel that the scientific aspect of teaching makes a good teacher a better teacher. I also feel that a teacher who isn't very good at teaching can still become a good or great teacher overtime through dedication and the desire to be an effective teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really the idea that teaching can be learned through a process, like a science. It gives hope to those of us like myself who haven't taught before. I'm curious, are there things that you have gotten down to a science in your classes? I would imagine that most classes are "tailor made" but are there any surefire things that always work for student success?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bernadette - my flippant but honest response would be No, there is no such thing as a sure fire success. Somethings work with some learners, but not with others. But it does get easier as you learn. Teaching is a constant learning process, and if you stop learning, my judgmental guess is you just aren't paying attention any more. But I can hard on my peers, I am harder on myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Mary Ann. I think you can get a few activities or lectures "down," in that they are tried and true over many years of tweaking, but even then they don't work all the time with all students.

    @ Mary Ann, it is nice to see someone else is hard on themselves. But sometimes I feel like I would be much less stressed and happier with myself if I weren't teaching!

    ReplyDelete